Saturday, April 21, 2012

Moving Overseas - Challenges to Expect


While at the gym today, I had a little epiphany about moving to a new culture and adjusting to cultural differences.

I went to one of those Total Body Conditioning classes where they have you lift weights so that, at the end, your muscles are so depleted you can barely exit the room. However, I tried a different instructor than usual.  He made us do a lot more cardio work than I had been doing in my other class.  My heart rate skyrocketed to the point of discomfort.  But, it made me realize I was feeling my heart work, something none of the previous classes had done for me.

We had to do poses and weight-lifts I had never seen before.  I was utterly confused, but realized my body was getting the benefit of an entirely new set of moves.

Finally, when stretching, the instructor made us stretch our legs in a method I can only describe as contorting ourselves into an upright pretzel. I had no idea my body could even enter into the position he made us hold!

Then it hit me - this class was a bit like transitioning to a new culture. 



Feeling Lost. I started the new class feeling completely lost.  I didn't know anyone, nor could I quite keep up with all the exercises.  I was also very uncomfortable with how fast my heart was beating.  I wondered what I got myself into. When you move someplace new, that "out of place" feeling hits hard at the beginning, and it can be very uncomfortable as you settle in.

New Approaches to Regular Activities. I tried movements I had never done before, and approached the workout completely differently.  I was so used to doing the same set of movements over and over, that it broke me out of a routine.  Similarly, in other cultures, you'll find that people approach every-day tasks in different ways than you're accustomed to.  At first, new approaches may feel weird and uncomfortable, but after some time goes by, you will hopefully perceive that their approach is a new way to handle a situation, rather than thinking it's "better" or "worse.  Furthermore, if you do feel stuck in a routine, trying one new thing dramatically shifts your insights!

Challenges Lead to Triumph. I folded my body up in ways I didn't know possible, in order to get a good stretch.  In fact, I really didn't think it was possible to fold my legs as I did, and contemplated giving up.  So, when I succeeded, I felt uplifted!  When you have to learn a new language, try a new food, or try new approaches to meeting people, you may feel it's impossible to succeed.  However, if you're willing to at least try, you may be pleasantly surprised by your accomplishments.




For more information on what challenges to prepare for, I invite you to download a free report full of the moving tips you haven't thought of! Visit http://www.expatriatesmovingoverseas.com

You can discover the Learn to Feel at Home Anywhere in the World program, designed to help you create a foundation for personal, social, and professional success, at http://www.relocationsuccessguide.com

From Heather Markel, The Culture Transition Gal. Helping you learn to feel at home anywhere in the world.




No comments:

Post a Comment